The Knight in Shining Armor Award is a Supreme program that can be modified and tailored by local council Grand Knights.
Awarded for service to the Order with distinction during the first year of membership, the “Shining Armor Award” is given to those men that exemplify what a true Knight of Columbus is. The concept of the “Shining Armor Award” program is to get new members active in the many facets of the Knights of Columbus as early as possible and assist in maintaining that activity and also honor them as a valued member of your council.
To qualify for the “Shining Armor Award” new Knights must during their first year of membership:
- Be involved in at least 3 council service programs.
- Attend at least 3 council business meetings.
- Receive their Second and Third degrees.
- Meet with their council’s insurance representative.
- Recruit at least one new member.
These are the qualifications for the basic program, consider implementing it in your council. Keep in mind, the main focus of the program is to get new members actively involved within their council from the very beginning. Councils can order materials for this program through the Supreme Council Supply Department by using the form #1:
- Qualification Cards (#4292), help new members keep track of their progress toward attaining the “Shining Armor Award” as their grand knight verifies each completed requirement. These cards are available free of charge.
- Certificates of Recognition (#4293), are a special way to commemorate the hard work of these new Knights. These certificates are available for .25 each.
- “Shining Armor” Lapel Pins (#1700) will not only be an honor for those who earn them to wear them, but they will also serve as a promotion for the program to other new Knights. These pins are available for $3.00 each.