Hey, Students …
- Are you age 5-14?
- Do you like to draw?
- Believe Jesus is real reason for Christmas?
- Want to win some great prizes?
If so, enter the Keep Christ in Christmas Poster Contest
- You can start drawing November 1
- Turn in your poster with the application attached by November 30 and be sure both you and a parent sign it
- Local council winners’ posters will compete at the State Council level and those winners go for judging at the International level for a chance to win even more prizes
- For an application and complete rules, contact Council 12345 at http://www.councilname.org or stop by the table in the back of the church
2019-2020 Keep Christ in Christmas (KCIC) Poster Contest FAQs – NH State Council
What is the contest all about? The contest encourages students to show what it means to put Christ as the focus for our Christmas observances and celebrations. Students will attempt to do this by designing original, hand-drawn posters.
Who is eligible? All students, ages 5-14, as of November 1, 2019. Students will be divided among three Age Categories – 5-7, 8-10, and 11-14. Councils and District Deputies are strongly encouraged to promote this among their members and parishes. A promotional flyer will be available soon on the State Council’s website.
Can students in Catholic schools participate? Yes, they can. State Youth Director Allen Ouelette will be informing the Superintendent of NH Catholic schools about the contest. A school must have a council sponsor its posters. If it does not, Contest Chairman Ron Barnovsky will assign the nearest participating council as a sponsor.
When does it run? Students have from November 1 to November 30 to complete their posters. Entries are due to the sponsoring council by December 1. Councils sponsoring entries from schools must pick them up the week of December 2-6. All entry forms must be filled out completely, including a signature by the student’ s parent or guardian.
How will judging be handled?
- All posters will be critiqued based on three criteria – Slogan (How clearly is the theme presented?), Visuals (How well do the visuals convey the message?), and Overall Impact (How effective was the poster in capturing your attention and causing you to reflect on the topic at hand?)
- Local councils must complete the judging by January 18
- Local council winners (1st and 2nd Place in each Age Category) must be brought to January's Winter
- State judging will take place at the Winter Quarterly, as State Winners are due to Supreme by February 15
- At least one, non-delegate from each participating council will need to attend the Quarterly as a judge
What can students win?
- Prizes at the local level will be determined by each council. Recommendations for prizes are given in the
Official Rules (see end of document for link).
- Prizes at the State Level are a $50 gift card for each 1st place winner and a $25 gift card for each 2nd place winner. These will be presented by the State Council as soon as possible after Supreme announces its winners, which is usually on or about March 15, in coordination with the sponsoring councils.
- Prizes at the International / Supreme level are $250 for the first place entry for each age group, while two runner-up prizes of $100 each are also awarded for each group. All international winners receive a framed certificate signed by the Supreme Knight. The winning 11-14 category design will be used in the promotional poster for the contest next year.
Where can I order contest materials / find Official Rules? Local councils can order materials by visiting https://www.kofc.org/en/programs/family/keep-christ-in-christmas.html#/Resources and scrolling to the “Kit Contents” section. This should be done ASAP, in order to allow adequate time for the materials to arrive.
What if I have further questions? Please contact State KCIC Poster Contest Chairman Ron Barnovsky at barnovsky [AT] comcast [DOT] net or by phone/text to 603-809-6768.